Wow, I’d actually forgotten that Ned’s last chapter was Ned’s last chapter. The single paragraph after Joffrey’s pronouncement does an incredible job of portraying the shocked surprise of the Lannisters and cabinet (especially Varys, who’s either truly surprised or acting like it to an admirable degree) while remaining plausibly within Arya’s POV.
- Is “the Others take your [object of derision]” a common oath in the South?
- I like that Arya doesn’t instantly become a perfectly street-smart hustler: her things are stolen and her accent or manner of speech gives her away to the other urchins.
- Old Nan told boys’ adventure stories.
- That is one cold trick the Lannisters pull with the fake Stark soldiers at the docks.
- Nice image of the galloping Redwyne twins.
- Another morbidly obese character: the High Septon.